CENTRAL, SOUTH AMERICAN & MEXICAN ROOTS MUSIC
Garifuna punta, candombe, cumbia, congo (Panama), son jarocho, mapalé, samba.
Origins: 18th century to mid-19th century.
- La Cumbia: Síntesis Musical de la Nación Colombiana, Reseña Histórica y Coreográfica by Delia Zapata Olivella, 1962.
- Samba by Alma Guillermoprieto, 1991.
- The Mystery of Samba: Popular Music & National Identity in Brazil by Hermano Vianna, 1995.
- Rhythms of Resistance: African Musical Heritage in Brazil by Peter Fryer, 2001.
- Music in Latin America and the Caribbean: An Encyclopedic History: Volume 1, Performing Beliefs: Indigenous Peoples of South America, Central America, and Mexico, Ed. Malena Kuss, 2004.
Black Rhythms of Peru: Reviving African Musical Heritage in the Black Pacific by Heidi Carolyn Feldman, 2006.
- The Brazilian Sound: Samba, Bossa Nova, and the Popular Music of Brazil by Chris McGowan, 2008.
- La cumbia cimarrona by Alfredo F. García, 2013.
Making Samba: A New History of Race and Music in Brazil by Marc A. Hertzman, April 2013.
- Cumbia!: Scenes of a Migrant Latin American Music Genre, Ed. by Héctor Fernández L'Hoeste & Pablo Vila, 2013.
- Making Samba: A New History of Race and Music in Brazil by Marc A. Hertzman, 2013.
- When the Devil Knocks: The Congo Tradition and the Politics of Blackness in Twentieth-Century Panama by Renée Alexander Craft, 2015. ︎
FILMS & SERIES
FILMS & SERIES
- Samba On Your Feet, dir. Eduardo Montes-Bradley, 52 mins, 2005. Available on Vimeo.
- The Candombe and its socio-cultural space: a community practice by UNESCO, 2009. 9 mins. Available on YouTube.
- Candombe in Uruguay: documentary with English subtitles, 2016. 24 mins. Available on YouTube.
- Afro-Mexicans: Dancing Their Way Back To Their Roots by AJ+, 2016. 2 mins. Available on YouTube.
- “Candombe and the Reterritorialization of Culture” by Abril Trigo, Callaloo, Vol. 16, No. 3 (Summer, 1993).
- "Ethnicity, modernity, and retention in the Garifuna punta" by Oliver N. Greene Jr., Black Music Research Journal, Vol. 22, No. 2, 2002.
- UNESCO’s Listing for “Candombe and its socio-cultural space: a community practice,” 2009.
- “From Punta to Chumba: Garifuna Music and Dance in New Orleans” by Amy Serrano, Louisiana Division of the Arts, 2009.
- “A Musical Journey Through Cumbia” by Amy Cunningham, Sounds and Colours, December 2011.
- “The Story Inside the Rhythm: Mapalé” by Nicholas Sea, Sounds and Colours, January 2012.
- “A Brief History of the Uruguayan Candombe” by George Mizen, Culture Trip, January 2017.
- UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Heritage Listing: “Ritual and festive expressions of the Congo culture,” 2018.
- “How this African beat spread through Latin America” (Cumbia) by Johnny Harris and Christina Thornell, Vox, December 2018.
- “Shakira Brought Afro-Colombian Dance to the Super Bowl” (Mapalé & champeta) by OkayAfrica, February 2020.
PODCASTS & RADIO
- “The Other Afro-Latino: Hidden Sounds from Ecuador, Bolivia and Uruguay” by Afropop Worldwide, 2009. 1h.
- “Samba Strikes Back” by Afropop Worldwide, June 2013. 1h.
- “Samba at the Dawn of Modern Brazil” by Afropop Worldwide, August 2016. 1h.
- “La Bamba: The Afro-Mexican Story” by Afropop Worldwide, March 2017. 1hr. ︎
“Cumbia: the Danceable Musical Tradition that Defies Borders” in Marfa Public Radio, August 2017. 5 mins.