Origins: Late 1960s - early 1970s.
Curator’s Note: Drag balls are included here due to their boom in the disco era, but note that ballroom culture dates back to the ‘30s.
- Love Saves the Day: A History of American Dance Music Culture, 1970-1979 by Tim Lawrence, 2003. ︎
- Disco Divas: Women and Popular Culture in the 1970s by Sherrie Inness, 2003.
- Everybody Dance: Chic and the Politics of Disco by Daryl Easlea, 2004.
- Turn the Beat Around: The Secret History of Disco by Peter Shapiro, 2005. ︎
- The Disco Files 1973-78: New York's Underground Week by Week by Vince Aletti, 2009. ︎
- Hot Stuff: Disco and the Remaking of American Culture by Alice Echols, March 2010. ︎
- Le Freak: An Upside Down Story of Family, Disco, and Destiny by Nile Rogers, 2011. ︎
- Disco: The Music, the Times, the Era by Johnny Morgan, Gloria Gaynor (Foreword), 2011. ︎
- I'll Never Write My Memoirs by Grace Jones, Paul Morley, 2015.
FILMS & SERIES
FILMS & SERIES
- The Queen, dir. Frank Simon, 1968. 1h 8m. ︎
- Companion Piece: “‘The Queen’ Is Essential Herstory for Anyone Learning to Live Out Loud” by Naveen Kumar, them., March 2020.
- Paris Is Burning, dir. Jennie Livingston, 1990, 1h 18 mins.
- Walk!, dir. Nicolas Jenkins, 2016, 11 mins. Available on Vimeo.
- Disco Demolition: Riot to Rebirth by RBMA, September 2016. 15 minutes.
- “Love Me Like You Should: The Brave and Bold Sylvester” by Amazon Music, dir. Lauren Tabak and prod. Barry Walters, June 2020. 15m.
PODCASTS & RADIO
- The Dance Floor Doesn't Lie (Disco Part 1) by Between the Liner Notes, Episode 18, February 2017.
- Discophobia (Disco Part 2) by Between the Liner Notes, Episode 19, March 2017.
- The Queen of Disco Edition: Donna Summer: by Slate’s Hit Parade, November 2017. 1h 12min.
“Jason King on Sylvester’s “Living Proof” (1979)” by Heat Rocks, April 2021. 58m.
- “In Defense of Disco” by Richard Dyer, Gay Left, Issue 8, 1979. ︎
- “Discophobia: Rock & Roll Fights Back” by Frank Rose, The Village Voice, November 1979.
- “Is Paris Burning?” by bell hooks, Black Looks: Race and Representation, 1992. ︎
- “The Music of Black, Gay Pride” by Craig Seymour, Metro Weekly, May 1998.
- “The Last Days of Gay Disco” by Peter Braunstein, The Village Voice, June 1998.
- “Sloppy 42nds: A Tribute to the 42nd Street Transsexual Clubs Destroyed by Walt Disney's Buyout of Times Square” by Terre Thaemlitz a.k.a. DJ Sprinkles, 1998.
- “Turn the beat around - Richard Dyer’s ‘In Defence of Disco’ revisited” by Jaap Kooijman, European Journal of Cultural Studies, Vol. 8, issue 2, January 2005.
- “In Defence of Disco (Again)” by Tim Lawrence, New Formations, 2006.
- “Discophobia: Antigay Prejudice and the 1979 Backlash against Disco” by Gillian Frank, Journal of the History of Sexuality, Vol. 16, No. 2, May 2007.
- “'I Will Survive': Musical Mappings of Queer Social Space in a Disco Anthem” by Nadine Hubbs, Popular Music Vol. 26, No. 2, May, 2007.
- “Boogie Nights and the Beginning of Disco” by Lisa Robinson, Vanity Fair, January 2010.
- “'Listen, and You Will Hear all the Houses that Walked There Before': A History of Drag Balls, Houses and the Culture of Voguing” by Tim Lawrence, 2011.
- “Disco and the Queering of the Dance Floor” by Tim Lawrence, Cultural Studies Vol. 25, No. 2 March 2011.
- “Hearing queerly: Musings on the ethics of disco/sexuality” by Ani Maitra, Continuum: Journal of Media & Cultural Studies, Vol. 25, No. 3, June 2011.
- “Beyond the Hustle: Seventies Social Dancing, Discotheque Culture and the Emergence of the Contemporary Club Dancer” by Tim Lawrence, Ballroom, Boogie, Shimmy Sham, Shake: A Social and Popular Dance Reader, September 2013.
- “Is it Worth It to Work It? Lily Allen, Iggy Azalea, Sky Ferreira & The Strange Pull Of Racial Appropriation” by Ann Powers, NPR, May 2014.
- “Disco Inferno '79” by Michael A. Gonzales, Cuepoint, October 2014. ︎
- “From Cocaine Disco to Electronic Dance: the Loaded Legacy of Casablanca Records” by Paul Adler, Medium, January 2015.
- “Nah, Rihanna: A History of 'Vogue' Exploiting Queer People of Color” by Julianne Escobedo Shepherd, Jezebel, January 2015.
- “How Grace Jones Became a Disco Diva” by Tim Lawrence, Electronic Beats Magazine, November 2015.
- “How 'Off the Wall' Launched Michael Jackson into Orbit” by Michael A. Gonzalez, Ebony, January 2016.
- “The Iconic Drag Queen Behind Frank Ocean's 'Endless'” by Mikelle Street, VICE, August 2016.
- “An Introduction to Disco Demolition: Riot to Rebirth” by David Drake, RBMA, September 2016.
- “Life and Death on the Pulse Dance Floor: Transglocal Politics and the Erasure of the Latinx in the History of Queer Dance” by Tim Lawrence, Dancecult: Journal of Electronic Dance music Culture, November 2016.
- “The New York Groove: Life On The '80s Dance Floor” by Tim Lawrence, TIDAL, February 2017.
“A Celebration of Patrick Adams” by Jason King, RBMA, May 2017.
- “Erasing Queens of Color to Make a Profit: The Historical Racism of Drag Culture” by Sky, Medium, September 2017.
- “Drag Herstory: How Crystal LaBeija Reinvented Ball Culture” by Elyssa Goodman, them., March 2018.
- “Drama On The Dancefloor: How 'Pose' Celebrates The Music Of Ballroom” by Laura Stavropoulos, uDiscover Music, June 2019.
- “‘Got to be real’: Evaluating the significance of realness in 1970s New York disco culture” by William Rees, European Journal of American Culture, Vol. 38, No. 3, September 2019.
- “Earth, Wind & Fire Gave Us Disco’s Last Great Pre-demolition Moment” by Jackson Howard, The Ringer, June 2019.
- “Disco's Revenge - How Disco Demolition Night Sparked Evolution In Black Music” by Naima Cochrane, VIBE, July 2019. ︎
- “'Ring My Bell': How a Memphis teacher brought the Bluff City disco gold—Anita Ward” by Jared Boyd, Daily Memphian, November 2019. ︎
- “A Place to Dance” by John Murph, TIDAL, June 2020.