Reggaeton, hip-hop en español, Latin trap, dembow, champeta urbana, Brazilian funk, and more.
Curator’s Note: Commercially known as “urbano” the umbrella term “el movimiento” is a title that some now support as an alternative, as the former perpetuates racial stereotypes and miscategorization for many artists in the industry. See statements by multimedia journalist Jennifer Mota and reggaeton historian Katelina Eccleston for more context.
- Reggaeton, ed. By Raquel Z. Rivera, Deborah Pacini Hernández, Wayne Marshall, 2009.
- Buena Vista in the Club: Rap, Reggaetón, and Revolution in Havana by Geoffrey Baker, Ronald Radano, Josh Kun
- Remixing Reggaetón: The Cultural Politics of Race in Puerto Rico by Petra R. Rivera-Rideau, 2015.
FILMS & SERIES
FILMS & SERIES
- “Who Started Reggaeton? The Documentary From a Panamanian P.O.V by New York Demolition with La Atrevida, January 2000. 31 minutes.
- “The Beat That Changed Pop Music” by AJ, May 2018. 11 minutes.
- “Por Dentro do Funk 150 BPM” by VICE Brasil, December 2018. 21 minutes (English CC available).
- “Black Latinas Are Missing From Reggaeton,” by Katelina Eccleston a.ka. Reggaeton con La Gata, June 2019. 8 minutes.
- “PART I: Victoria La Mala, Jen Mota, Katelina Eccleston a.k.a. Reggaeton con la Gata & Anthony Marshall” by Univision’s Se Habla US’s Real Talk: Rhythms, Roots & Representation series.
- “PART II: Victoria La Mala, Jen Mota, Katelina Eccleston a.k.a. Reggaeton con la Gata & Anthony Marshall” by Univision’s Se Habla US’s Real Talk: Rhythms, Roots & Representation series.
PODCASTS & RADIO
- Perreo 101: Katelina Eccleston a.ka. Reggaeton con la Gata’s bilingual podcast on reggaeton history. Some highlights:
- “Evolution of Roots feat. DJ Blass, Darell, Mista Greenz, Maicol Superstar,” 24 minutes, Aug 13, 2019.
- “Make Reggaeton Nasty Again,” 21 minutes · Sep 9, 2019.
- “Where Da Ladies At?” 29 minutes, Sep 17, 2019.
- “Bridge Between Panama and Puerto Rico,” 23 minutes, March 21, 2020.
- “La Raza Latina is a Fairytale feat. Bad Dominicana,” 30 minutes, July 5th, 2020.
- Radio Menea: Hosted by Verónica Bayetti Flores and Miriam Zoila Pérez. Some highlights:
- “Episode 110: Dominican Dembow,” February 2020. 1h.
- “Episode 101: Reggaeton con La Gata,” December 2019. 47 minutes.
- “Episode 98: Meet Nino Augustine,” November 2019, 43 minutes.
- “Episode 82: La Pajarita La Paul,” May 2019, 46 minutes.
- “Episode 60: Live with Bembona,” October 2018, 58 minutes.
- “The loopy origins of dembow and reggaeton's knotty dancehall roots” by Wayne Marshall, January 2014.︎
- “How African med students created a new genre of Cuban music: Bakosó” by Rawiya Kameir, The Outline, May 2017. ︎
- “What is “Champeta Urbana”? An Interview with Kevin Flórez” by Pablo Medina Uribe, Africa Is a Country, July 2015. ︎
- “Faced With a Proposed Ban on Colombia's Northern Coast, Champeta Artists Speak Out” by Andres Shaq, Remezcla, August 2015.
- “What Is Funk Proibidão?” by Amaya Garcia, RBMA Daily, April 2017.
- “Ozuna, Bad Bunny, De La Ghetto, Farruko & Messiah Narrate a Brief History of Latin Trap” by April Salud, Billboard, August 2017.
- “We Need to Talk About the Latin Grammys' Problem With Trap en Español” by Julyssa Lopez, Remezcla, September 2017.
- “How New York Dominicans Helped Launch the Latin Trap Explosion” by Matthew Ismael Ruiz, Remezcla, June 2018.
- “Meet the who’s who of neoperreo, reggaeton’s freakiest offshoot” by Julyssa Lopez, The Fader, August 2018.
- “Latin Music Is Reaching More Listeners Than Ever — But Who Is Represented?” by Elias Leight, Rolling Stone, November 2018.
- “The Second Whitening of Dem Bow: Spain’s Reggaeton, Dancehall, and Hip-Hop Hybrid” by SJ, Medium, May 2019.
- “Meet the Afro-Latina Purveyors of Reggaeton Music” by Marjua Estevez, Teen Vogue, June 2019.
- “Rosalía and the blurry borders of what it means to be a Latin artist” by Justin Agrelo, Mother Jones, October 2019. ︎
- “Ozuna's Viva Cover Story: The Golden Child of the Digital Era” by Jennifer Mota, VIBE, November 2019.
- “The Rise Of Dominican Dembow” by Jennifer Mota, TIDAL, October 2019.
- “Dembow Took Over the Dominican Republic. Can It Take Over the World?” by Suzy Exposito & Elias Leight, Rolling Stone, November 2019.
- “Reggaeton Is Poppier and Paler Than Ever — But Tego Calderon Made It Eternally Black” by Jennifer Mota, LEVEL, January 2020.
- “Meet Chucky73 and Sie7etr3, The Bronx Crew Bringing Latin Trap Home” by Matthew Ismael Ruiz, Pitchfork, January 2020.
- “Si Tu Quiere Dembow: How La Delfi Sparked the Rise of Queer Dembow” by Jennifer Mota, Remezcla, February 2020.
- “Urbano Music in 50 Songs: An Introduction to Reggaeton, Latin Trap, and More” by Jenzia Burgos, Ecleen Luzmila Caraballo, Isabelia Herrera, Julyssa Lopez, Felipe Maia, Jennifer Mota, Matthew Ismael Ruiz, Pitchfork, March 2020. ︎
- “Hip-Hop in Chile: From Trap to Boom-Bap” by David Bugueño, Bandcamp Daily, May 28, 2020.
- “The Recording Academy Has Retired the Term 'Urban' – Is Urbano Next to Go?” by Suzy Exposito, Rolling Stone, June 2020.
- “Why Urbano Artists' Scarce Comments on the #BLM Movement Are a Problem” by Katelina Eccleston a.k.a. Reggaeton Con la Gata, Remezcla, June 2020.︎
- “10 Dominican Producers Shaking Up El Movimiento” by Jennifer Mota, Remezcla, June 2020.