Mento, ska, rocksteady, dancehall, and dub.
Origins: 1950s - 1970s
- Reggae Bloodlines: In Search Of The Music And Culture Of Jamaica by Stephen Davis, Peter Simon, 1977.
- Catch a Fire: The Life of Bob Marley by Timothy White, 1983.
- The Rough Guide to Reggae by Steve Barrow, Peter Dalton, 1997.
- Roots, rock, reggae: An Oral History of Reggae by Chuck Foster, 1999.
- Bass Culture: When Reggae Was King by Lloyd Bradley, 2000. ︎
- This is Reggae Music by Lloyd Bradley, 2001.
- Reggae Explosion: The Story of Jamaican Music by Chris Salewicz, Adrian Boot, 2001.
- Solid Foundation: An Oral History of Reggae by David Katz, 2003. ︎
- Sound Clash: Jamaican Dancehall Culture at Large by Carolyn Cooper, 2004.
- People Funny Boy: The Genius of Lee 'Scratch' Perry by David Katz, 2006. ︎
- Dub: Soundscapes and Shattered Songs in Jamaican Reggae by Michael E. Veal, 2007. ︎
- Dancehall: The Rise of Jamaican Dancehall Culture by Beth Lesser, 2008.
- Original Rude Boy by Neville Staple, 2009.
- Ska: An Oral History by Heather Augustyn, 2010.
- Words of Our Mouth, Meditations of Our Heart: Pioneering Musicians of Ska, Rocksteady, Reggae, & Dancehall by Kenneth Bilby, 2016.
- So Much Things to Say: The Oral History of Bob Marley by Roger Steffens, 2017.
FILMS & SERIES
FILMS & SERIES
- Reggae, dir. Horace Ové, 1971. 1h.
- The Harder They Come, dir, Perry Henzel, 1974.
- Rockers, dir. Theodoros Bafaloukos, 1978.
- Reggae Britannia, dir. Jeremy Marre, 2011.
- Bob Marley: The Making of a Legend, dir. Esther Anderson & Gian Godoy, 2011.
- Pimento and Hot Pepper: The Story of Mento Music, dir. by Rick Elgood, 2017. 1h.
- Rudeboy: The Story of Trojan Records, dir. Nicolas Jack Davies, 2018. 1h 26m.
- Inna de Yard: The Soul of Jamaica, dir. Peter Webber, 2019.
PODCASTS & RADIO
- “Overview of Dub” by Reggae Lover, Episode 120, October 2018. 62 minutes.
- “Women in Reggae” by Reggae Lover, Episode 127, January 2019. 45 minutes.
- “Women in Reggae Part 2” by Reggae Lover, Episode 161, September 2019. 49 minutes.
- “The Influence of Reggae” by Reggae Lover, Episode 133, February 2019. 58 minutes.
- “Introduction to Soundclash” by Reggae Lover, Episode 134, March 2019. 54 minutes.
- “Urban Spaces and Working-Class Expressions across the Black Atlantic: Tracing the Routes of Ska” by Joseph Heathcott, Radical History Review, 2003.
- “Jamaica's new music revolution” by Baz Dreisinger, Salon, March 2004.
- “Dread, beat and blood” by Vivien Goldman, The Guardian, July 2006.
- “The Record Producer Stephen McGregor Is a Reggae Veteran at 18” on Di Genius, by Vivien Goldman, NYTimes, September 2008.
- “From Roots to Dancehall” by David Katz, RBMA, January 31, 2013.
- “In Search of the First Dub LP” by David Katz, RBMA, October 2013.
- “Rock Steady’s Beginnings: An Introduction to Jamaican Music’s Most Influential Genre” by David Katz, RBMA, November 2013.
- “That Chop on the Upbeat: Rosco Gordon and the Birth of Ska” by John Jeremiah Sullivan, Oxford American, November 2013. ︎
- “How Bob Marley Was Sold to the Suburbs” by Chris Kornelis, Phoenix New Times, July 2014. ︎
- “The Rise And Fall Of East London’s Soundsystems” by Matthew Bennett, RBMA, August 2014.
- “Wheel It Up: History of the Rewind” by Laurent Fintoni, Cuepoint, January 2015.
- “Count Ossie and the Birth of Reggae” by David Katz, RBMA, April 2015.
- “How Casio accidentally started reggae's digital revolution” by James Trew, Engadget, December 2015. ︎
- “Sweet Reggae Music Pon di Attack: A History of Soundclash” by Erin MacLeod and Joshua Chamberlain, RBMA, October 2016.
- “Key Brixton Tracks: Linton Kwesi Johnson’s “Five Nights of Bleeding”” by David McNamee, RBMA, March 2017.
- “Beyond “Bam Bam”: Dancehall Icon Sister Nancy on Her Improbable Career” by Mark “Frosty” McNeill, RBMA, March 2017.
- “The Brixton Riots and Music” by Dan Hancox, RBMA, April 2017.
- “When Dancehall Taught Me Happiness” by Judnick Mayard, Medium, January 2018. ︎
- “Why Isn't Jamaican Dancehall Bigger in the U.S.?” by Elias Leight, Rolling Stone, August 2018.
- “The Roots of Dub” by Kirk Degiorgio, RBMA, August 2018. ︎
- “The high stakes of reggae superstar Buju Banton’s return” by Summer Eldemire, The Fader, March 2019.
- “Down To The Roots: The Radical Politics of Reggae” by Jessica Lipsky, The North Star, March 2019.
- “The Essential Guide to Dancehall” by Sharine Taylor, RBMA, July 2019. ︎
- “Koffee, the Nineteen-Year-Old Artist Modernizing Reggae” by Doreen St. Félix, The New Yorker, September 2019.
- “VP Records: The House That Reggae Built” by Sharine Taylor, Complex, December 2019. ︎
- “Eight Artists Who Embody the Roots Reggae Tradition” by Gladstone Taylor, Bandcamp Daily, June 2020. ︎