Rock ‘n’ roll, indie rock, & metal.
- Country: The Twisted Roots of Rock’n’Roll by Nick Tosches, 1977. ︎
- Unsung Heroes Of Rock 'n' Roll: The Birth Of Rock In The Wild Years Before Elvis by Nick Tosches, 1984.
- The Life and Times of Little Richard: The Authorised Biography by Charles White, Little Richard, 1985.
- Chuck Berry: The Autobiography by Chuck Berry, 1989.
- Be My Baby: How I Survived Mascara, Miniskirts, and Madness by Ronnie Spector, 1989.
- Sly and the Family Stone: An Oral History by Joel Selvin.
- Race, Rock, and Elvis by Michael T. Bertrand, 2000.
- Midnight Lightning: Jimi Hendrix and the Black Experience by Greg Tate, 2003.
- Right to Rock: The Black Rock Coalition and the Cultural Politics of Race by Maureen Mahon, 2004. ︎
- Room Full of Mirrors: A Biography of Jimi Hendrix by Charles R. Cross, 2004.
- Rip it Up: The Black Experience in Rock 'n' Roll by Kandia Crazy Horse & Greg Tate, 2004. ︎
- Slash by Slash, Anthony Bozza, 2007. ︎
- Shout, Sister, Shout!: The Untold Story of Rock-And-Roll Trailblazer Sister Rosetta Tharpe by Gayle Wald, 2007. ︎
- I Want to Take You Higher: The Life and Times of Sly and the Family Stone by Jeff Kaliss, 2008.
- What are You Doing Here?: A Black Woman's Life and Liberation in Heavy Metal by Laina Dawes, 2012. ︎
- Cowboy Song: The Authorised Biography of Philip Lynott by Graeme Thomson, 2016.
- Just Around Midnight: Rock and Roll and the Racial Imagination by Jack Hamilton, 2017. ︎
- Tina Turner: My Love Story by Tina Turner, 2018.
- Black Diamond Queens: African American Women and Rock and Roll by Maureen Mahon, 2020.
FILMS & SERIES
FILMS & SERIES
- Jimi Hendrix, dir. John Head, Joe Boyd, and Gary Weis, 1973. 1h 42m.
- What's Love Got to Do With It, dir. Brian Gibson, 1993. 1h 58m.
- Cadillac Records, dir. Darnell Martin, 2008. 1h 49m.
- Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child, dir. Bob Smeaton, 2010. 1h 31m.
- The Godmother of Rock & Roll: Sister Rosetta Tharpe, dir. Mick Csaky, 2011. 1 hour.
- Blue Wild Angel: Jimi Hendrix Live at the Isle of Wight, dir. Murray Lerner, 2013. 1hr 57m.
PODCASTS & RADIO
- “The Struggle Of Black Women In The World Of Heavy Metal” by Nicole Campbel & Frank Stasio, WUNC, 2013. 17 minutes.
- “Vernon Reid on Jimi Hendrix's 'Band of Gypsys'” by Heat Rocks, January 2018. 38 minutes. ︎
- “Why Can't Black Kids Play Heavy Metal?” by Laina Dawes, The Root, June 2013. ︎
- “Bo Diddley and The Long Lost Duchess of Rock ‘n’ Roll” (on Norma-Jean Wofford) by Kimberly J. Bright, Dangerous Minds, June 2013.
- “The Unbearable Whiteness of Indie” by Sarah Sahim, Pitchfork, March 2015.
- “Heavy Metal Feminism” by Laina Dawes, Hazlitt, August 2015.
- “'We Don't Need Another Black Woman in Rock 'n' Roll': How Betty Davis Challenged the Music Industry” by Laina Dawes, Hazlitt, September 2015.
“Fear of Music: A Tribute to Black Rock Coalition” by Michael Gonzales, RBMA, October 2015.
- “Does Metal Have A Problem With Race?” by Dave Everley, Louder Sound, March 2016.
- “Race, rock, and the Rolling Stones: How the rock and roll became white.” by Jack Hamilton, Slate, October 2016.
- “Chuck Berry Invented the Idea of Rock and Roll” by Bill Wyman, Vulture, December 2016.
- “For Vagabon, Indie Rock Is About Creating a Voice and a Community” by Ivie Ani, Village Voice, March 2017.
- “Chuck Berry: The Double Helix Of Rock & Roll” by Greg Tate, Village Voice, March 2017.
- “Forebears: Sister Rosetta Tharpe, The Godmother Of Rock 'N' Roll” by Jessica Diaz-Hurtado, NPR, August 2017.
- “Tina Turner: the making of a rock'n'roll revolutionary” by Daphne A. Brooks, The Guardian, March 2018. ︎
- “It's Time To Recognize The Ronettes As Rock And Roll Pioneers” by Hilarie Ashton, NPR, March 2018.
- “How Living Colour Reignited Rock’s "Cult of Personality"” by Alan Siegel, The Ringer, May 2018. ︎
- “'It's about time': the black and Asian bands 'decolonising' British indie” by Darren Loucaides, The Guardian, June 2018.
- “Queer, Black & Blue: Sister Rosetta Tharpe Is Muva of Them All” by Erin White, Afropunk, March 2019. ︎
- “The Story Behind Peggy Jones” by Ashawnta Jackson, She Shreds, March 2019.
- “10 Black Metal Bands You Should Check Out” by Aude Konan, OkayAfrica, November 2019.
- “The Righteousness of Joan Armatrading” by Stephanie Phillips, She Shreds, December 2019.
- “130 Historic Black Women Guitarists and Bassists You Need To Know” by She Shreds Mag, February 2020.
- Moses Sumney’s Twitter take on the state of indie and his follow-up thread of Black indie artists to support, March 2020.
- “Little Richard Is Everywhere” by Jason King, Pitchfork, May 2020.
- “From Chuck Berry to Tom Morello: A Conversation About Black Guitarists” by Tony Pierce, Los Angeleno, June 2020. ︎
- “Who Belongs Here? The Complicated Position of Rock Fans of Color and The #BLM Movement” by Erica Campbell, Paste, July 2020.
- DJ Soul Sister a.k.a. Melissa A. Weber’s Twitter thread on the uncredited women of Parliament Funkadelic, August 2020.
- “Let There Be (Black) Rock: Pulling at some myths of rock and roll with critic Mosi Reeves” in Zachary Lipez’s newsletter.
- “The Pivotal Impact Of African-American Women In Rock And Roll” by Erica Campbell, February 2021.
- “The Black ‘Godmother of Grunge’ Who Inspired Your Fav Bands” (on Tina Bell) by Stephanie Siek, ZORA Mag, March 2021.